Thursday, June 16, 2011

Things I'm Learning As a Wife...



Here are just a few random things I've learned and I'm working on as a wife. I have a loooong way to go, just in case you think I've arrived. {laughs}

  • Pouting isn't a good idea. It just isn't. And I knew that before I got married too. You'd think I would have figured that out by now! It just makes life miserable for both of us. And Aaron loves me and wants the best for me, so when he says no, it must be that it's for my good. (This principle applies to God too!)
  • Every day right before Aaron gets home or I go to pick Aaron up from work, I spray a little perfume on and fix my hair and swish with mouthwash. I know Aaron appreciates it and it certainly makes me feel fresher! 
  • "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1. It really works too. Funny how that is! The problem is that I tend to feel self-righteous after I've responded gently! So I jump from one ditch into the other. So I'm learning to stay right in the middle. 
  • Even when you just know you're right, is it really worth arguing? In view of eternity, does the subject at hand need to be won? Maybe not, especially when it's put that way.
  • Your spouse comes with habits, good habits and bad habits. And both good and bad habits are hard to be broken. Be patient, marriage doesn't change a person. They are the same person after the vows as before the vows. Just like you! You come with plenty of bad habits yourself. 
  • When you pray out loud for your spouse, pray with your eyes open, staring deeply into their eyes. There is something intimate and tender about talking to God while gazing on the person you love.
  • Don't talk badly about your husband. The wife of the pastor who officiated at our wedding is a dear friend of mine, and neither I nor my mom have ever (ever!) heard her say one negative word about her husband. That is who I want to be, all the time.
  • Read together. Aaron and I are reading three different books together: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy, and The First 90 Days of Marriage by Eric and Leslie Ludy. Most of the time it's just a way to relax together, but sometimes something causes us to have a good discussion. The best part is that I get to put my head in Aaron's lap and watch his face while he reads. 
I had thought of some others while I was driving to pick Aaron up today, but I can't remember anymore. If I remember them, they will probably become another post! 

Love,
Anna

PS - Being a wife is awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, beautiful post, Anna! These are all good things to remember and to work on in preparing to be a wife one day.

    God Bless!
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete